Akame - Shirato Sanpei (English)

After many months of delay, I'm pleased to announce the release of Akame.

This work is divided in two parts, the first one was published in English on the Special issue of Concerned Theatre Japan in 1971 but the second and final part was never translated.

I read this Sanpei Shirato's title for the first time many years ago in my own language, which was (unfortunately still is to this day) the only completed western release for this title. Akame is a story of revenge, like most Shirato's titles set in Medieval Japan, but it's definitely not your typical revenge story. The abuses and humiliations suffered by the peasants at the hands of their Lord, are not things that we don't see in our present time. The world change, but some things stay the same, and with Shirato's parallelism we see how it must have been back then.

After all those years, it was a pleasure for me to join this project and help translating the series, and also a good chance to refresh my memory rediscovering this amazing work. The translation (included the first part) was entirely redone. It's based on the Italian edition, but with the help of other amazing members who helped me (included a thoughtful check from the Japanese, to make sure everything was correct and faithful to the original script) I think it turned out fine. I hope you enjoy the read, and stick around for future releases!

Koma

DDL


Comments

  1. This was a great read, not at all what I expected. There really needs to be more Sanpei in english, very grateful you did this. Hope more is in the works.Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a secret project in the works ;)

      Delete
    2. That is great news. I just read through what little scans of Kamui are out there and I do hope you release some more Sanpei. I was just watching this video and there is SO much of his work that should be out there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMru_VKbOxg&ab_channel=GAIJINGUY

      Delete
    3. Gaijinguy is in this server(alongside many great people who love manga): https://discord.gg/Gaund3mW
      Make sure to join to chat with us! (don't forget to join our server too)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts